IBM i in an open world
Thanks to its uniquely low cost-of-ownership (a so-called “self-administrated” platform), and its reputation for reliability and security, IBM i applications are exceptionally long-lived and still business-critical today.
Yet software development on IBM i has remained relatively confined – relying on specific technology skills that are now rare in the market.
Running your business on IBM i? Reduce risk by modernizing your applications and unifying your software development tooling across ALL technologies in your information system, including IBM i. By adopting industry standards, you tap into new developer communities and secure the evolution of your core applications into the future.
Open strategy to source code management (SCM) tools
Proprietary and platform-specific vendor SCM tools can no longer keep up and the IBM i community is moving decisively towards industry standards.
So open source tools such as Git, SVN and Jenkins have started to take hold. But to work on IBM i, they require specific technology to manage its many language and database variants, such as RPG and DB2.
ARCAD brings this IBM i technology layer for any SCM tooling, including open source.
ARCAD for DevOps is an integrated, modular solution automating the five stages in the lifecycle of an application – analysis, develop, build, test and deploy.
A shared metadata repository ensures that IT staff remain synchronized with each other throughout the process.
Whatever your choice of SCM, ARCAD for DevOps offers a complete, end-to-end solution for modern application delivery on IBM i, using automation and continuous user feedback to reduce IT cost and risk, and accelerate the delivery of business value.
- Graphical analysis for easy understanding of an existing IBM i application (ARCAD-Observer)
- Automated “smart” dependency build for IBM i (ARCAD-Builder)
- Automated regression testing (ARCAD- Verifier)
- Multi-platform Application Release Automation (ARA) with DROPS – across IBM i, UNIX, Linux, Windows, System z
- Common source code repository for all target platforms (Git, SVN, GitHub, GitLab, etc.)
Thanks to their unequalled reliability and custom developed features, applications developed in-house on IBM i represent a significant business asset and a source of competitive advantage.
Leverage the value of your existing IBM i assets though a step by step modernization of source code, database and user interface.
Use ARCAD for IBM i Modernization to automate the transformation of your legacy IBM i application into a modern 3-tier architecture:
- Convert your RPG source code to the modern Free Format syntax
- Convert your DDS to DDL (SQL) for a true relational database on IBM i
- Replace your 5250 “green screens” by modern web and mobile interfaces
- Develop Webservices over key areas of code
- Convert your application to Unicode
- Expand the size of fields and working fields
Legacy IBM i application -> [ARCAD-Transformer] -> Modernized IBM i application